We’re all adapting to the new realities being created by the Coronavirus pandemic. With social distancing practices and even stay-at-home orders in place in many parts of the country, people are seeking out ways to stay connected to their loved ones and fight against isolation.
Wireless devices can offer you the next best thing to being there. If you use an Android smartphone, iPhone or most tablets, including our GrandPad device, you have apps right at hand that can keep you face-to-face with family and friends at any time. Here are some of the most popular, and easiest-to-use, ways to stay in touch.
- Google offers two video calling apps that can be used on both Android devices or iPhones. Duo offers video calling with up to 8 people at once. It also lets you create video messages which you can leave for your friends to brighten their day. Duo was designed as a replacement for the older Hangouts app, which still provides valuable tools like group texting and video calling with up to 10 contacts.
- FaceTime works exclusively between Apple iOS devices, including iPhones, and if you’ve got an Apple-based group you want to connect with, it can accommodate up to 32 people on a Group FaceTime video chat at once.
- WhatsApp is a popular and widely-used messaging app available for free from both the Apple App Store for iPhone users, and the Play Store for Android. It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make video calls, and share images with up to 4 people at once.
- Considered the “Granddaddy” of video chat apps, Skype connects up to 50 people on a video call. It’s available for free for both Android and iPhone users.
- For social media users, Facebook Messenger can be used for video and audio calling of groups of up to 6 people. There is also a version of the Messenger app for kids, tied to a parent, grandparent or other adult account with the ability to add only trusted connections and monitor exchanges
- If you need a solution for an older loved one who is new to using technology, consider our GrandPad tablet. It offers modern conveniences like video calling and messaging with the simple tap of a button. They’ll be connected in no time using the intuitive touchscreen navigation with large buttons for easy viewing. GrandPad does not require Wi-Fi so it can be used right out of the box and is set-up for ease of use. Plus, it’s available with fast, free shipping.
Though we may be spending more time physically apart in the coming days and weeks, we can still enjoy the comforts of smiling, familiar faces with any of these terrific options.