Want to get the whole gang together on your cellphone? It’s easier than you think. If you’ve ever wondered how to do a three-way call using your mobile device, here’s what you’ll need to know.
A three-way call, or conference call, is when three or more people are in a phone conversation simultaneously. Most mobile devices allow up to five or six conference call participants at a time. Since you’ll be hosting multiple parties on your call, be sure to take these important steps first, to avoid any interruptions:
- Make sure your phone is fully charged beforehand. If possible, have a charger and outlet nearby just in case.
- Turn off your ringers. Be sure to cut out any unnecessary distractions by switching your phone and laptop to silent before your call.
- Avoid using speakerphone. Though it allows you to be more hands-free, it sacrifices sound quality. Try using a headset instead, unless you’re sharing a phone line with another person.
To create a conference call using iPhone:
- Make a call.
- Press “Add Call,” and select the second recipient. The first recipient will be placed on hold while you connect.
- Press “Merge Calls” to connect both lines together.
- Repeat steps two and three to add more participants.
If you wish to disconnect one of the parties from the call, simply press “Conference” and then tap the red circle with the phone graphic next to the number. You can then press “End Call” to disconnect.
You can also conduct private conversations with individuals during a conference call by pressing “Conference,” and then “Private” next to the number you’d like to go one-on-one with. When you’re ready to rejoin the other parties, press “Merge Calls” and you’ll be a part of the conference once more.
Conference calling on an Android phone:
Conducting a cellphone conference call on an Android is very similar to an iPhone. The major difference is the terminology and icons. Simply follow these steps:
- Make a call.
- After connecting, press the “Add Call” icon. The graphic features a person with a “+” next to it. Once the icon is pressed, the first recipient will be placed on hold.
- Dial the second party, and wait for them to answer.
- Press the “Merge” icon. This will appear as two arrows merging into one. Once you tap this, the calls will join, and the screen will say “Conference Call.”
Similar to the iPhone, you can press “Manage” to mute or disconnect a party from the conference call.