As we begin 2011, I wanted to take a moment to look back at all the great volunteer activities Consumer Cellular employees, friends, and families participated in last year.
Oregon Food Bank: Through multiple Oregon Food Bank events, Consumer Cellular volunteers donated 278 hours repackaging bulk food that resulted in making available over 84,953 meals for local families.
- Red Cross Blood Drives: Consumer Cellular volunteers donated 78 pints of blood, providing 234 people with life-saving blood donations.
- Race for the Cure: An impressive 85 team members and their families participated in the 2010 Race for the Cure events in both Portland and Phoenix, raising $9,420 in donations.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer: Several Consumer Cellular employees participated in a walk for breast cancer awareness, raising an additional $270 in donations.
- School House Supply Drive: Employees donated $1,602 in school supplies, totaling more than $3,000 after Consumer Cellular matched donations.
- Fill the Bag Food Drive: Consumer Cellular employees donated 16,305 pounds of food, which supplied more than 12,000 meals to communities throughout Portland and Phoenix.
- Holiday Giving Tree: In support of Albertina Kerr, in Portland, and Save The Family, in Phoenix, Consumer Cellular adopted several local families to provide them with clothing, toys, sports equipment, toiletries, gift cards, books, games, bedding and other essentials.
- Phone Recycling Program: More than 20,000 phones were recycled, totaling $28,554 in charitable proceeds during the first nine months of 2010. All money went to the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, which is part of the Children’s Miracle Network.
- Green Initiatives: In addition to our recycling efforts in the call centers, we are proud to say 99 percent of Consumer Cellular’s shipping by-products are recycled and 59 percent of Consumer Cellular customers are enrolled in paperless billing and alerts. Most recently, we installed motion sensor lights throughout the Portland facility to increase energy efficiency.
I would like to give a big thank you to our customers as well as the Consumer Cellular team and their friends and family. May we continue to support each other and our communities this year!