When it comes to browsing social media sites, it may seem like there is no end to the content, or personalities that are present and active on sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. While this can often bring endless amounts of useful information, entertainment and big laughs, there are many aspects of the internet that are unfortunately unpleasant. This guide will help you navigate some of the toxic aspects of social media, so that you can have a pleasant experience while visiting these sites.
Facebook is a social media platform where you and your friends can post pictures and links, as well as comment on these posts. Unfortunately, there are comments that you may come across that are insulting, threatening and/or demeaning. Fortunately, Facebook has several options that you can use to combat these types of comments.
How To Block a Page
- If you wish to no longer see, or be seen by a page, go to the page you want to block
- Click “…” below the page’s cover photo
- Select “Block Page” or “Block”
- Click “Confirm”
Blocking certain words
By using this feature, future posts and comments will be automatically marked as spam and hidden.
- Click “Settings” at the top of your page
- Click “Page Moderation”
- Type the words you want to block, separated by commas. You will need to add both the singular and plural forms of the word you want to block
- Click “Save Changes”
In late 2022, billionaire Elon Musk finalized his purchase of Twitter. Shortly following the finalization of the purchase, Musk unbanned many users originally disciplined for racist and hateful content, as well as a relaxed level of moderation. It is safe to say that if you wish to use, or continue the use, of Twitter, you may encounter explicit and/or offensive content. Fortunately, Twitter has a few tricks up their sleeve that you can use to make your experience more enjoyable.
Blocking a User
By blocking a user, you are effectively cutting off their ability to see them and vice-versa.
- Click on the ellipsis icon next to the account you’d wish to block
- From this menu, select “Block”
- The user is now blocked
Managing Blocked Users
If you’re looking to revise your blocked list, just follow these easy directions to do so.
- Click on “More” and then “Settings and Support”
- Then go to “Settings and Privacy” and “Mute and Block”
- Select “Blocked Accounts” to view and edit your blocked list
Instagram, a popular social media platform that is primarily used for sharing pictures and videos, can unfortunately be a place for unmoderated content. Here are a couple of options in order to manage the content you see, as well as the accounts that interact with you.
Blocking Accounts On Instagram
When you block an account, you prevent their posts from appearing in your timeline, as well as their ability to see what you say.
- Click on the “Direct Messages” icon
- Click the conversation of the user you would like to block
- Click “Block/Unblock”, then once more to confirm
How To Set Your Account to Private
If you feel the need to turn your account to private, just follow these steps to do so. Keep in mind that the only people who can now see you are those of who you approve, as well as those who already follow you.
- Click “More” in the bottom left, then click “Settings”
- Click “Privacy and Security”
- Below “Account Privacy”, click the box next to “Private Account”
We hope that using these tips and tricks will enhance your social media experience in a big way. While it is unfortunate that negative comments and posts exist on social media, we hope that by following this guide you help you in having an enjoyable experience.