Consumer Cellular a top-rated cellphone carrier and the exclusive wireless provider for AARP members, is set to end 2014 with 30 percent company growth and nearly 1.7 million customers. Throughout the year, Consumer Cellular saw significant retail expansion, celebrated several major company milestones, and received noteworthy business awards and industry recognition.
Consumer Cellular saw a substantial extension of its retail availability in 2014, with its presence increasing by nearly 2,000 locations across the country. Notable expansions include the following:
- In May, Consumer Cellular began expanding its retail footprint in Sears stores nationwide for the third time since the two companies' partnership began in 2011. The increased presence in more than 750 stores nationwide included new, larger displays and additional smartphone offerings.
- In October, Consumer Cellular began selling its affordable, no-contract wireless phones and plans at more than 1,800 Target stores nationwide. Target, the country's second largest general merchandise retailer, represents Consumer Cellular's largest retail partnership to date.
Consumer Cellular's rapid growth allowed the company to reach two major milestones this year, 1,000 employees and 1.5 million customers:
- Consumer Cellular hired its 1,000th full-time employee in May, reflecting steady growth in employment at all three of the company's locations – the Portland headquarters and fulfillment center as well as call centers in Phoenix, Ariz. and Redmond, Ore. In September, Consumer Cellular relocated its Phoenix customer support center to a new 85,000-square-foot facility in Tempe. The larger space will allow the company to hire an additional 300 employees by May 2015.
- Just more than a year after reaching 1 million subscribers, Consumer Cellular celebrated the 1.5 million customer milestone in July 2014. To mark the occasion, the company asked its employees to select three national charities that would then each receive a $150,000 donation. The employees chose the American Cancer Society, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Wounded Warrior Project.
The company's success has drawn the attention of business media, and this year Consumer Cellular received several noteworthy awards:
- Consumer Cellular was recognized as one of the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing companies for the sixth consecutive year, thanks to revenue growth of 157 percent between 2010 and 2013.
- The Portland Business Journal named Consumer Cellular one of the Fastest-Growing Private 100 Companies for the fifth year in a row. This month, the same publication named Consumer Cellular as one of Oregon's Most Admired Companies.
- Oregon Business Magazine selected Consumer Cellular as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Oregon for the fourth consecutive year.
The industry continues to recognize Consumer Cellular's high customer satisfaction ratings:
- This year Consumer Cellular was ranked No. 1 in the mobile carrier category of PC Magazine's Readers' Choice Awards survey, earning the highest marks for overall customer satisfaction. The survey findings also indicate that Consumer Cellular customers are more likely to recommend their carrier than customers of any other mobile carrier in the United States.
- Nielsen Mobile Insights also recently revealed that Consumer Cellular has the highest overall satisfaction of all mobile carriers, based on interpretation of Nielsen's Mobile Insights survey data, which uses respondents' self-reported rating (1 to 10 scale) of overall satisfaction with their carrier from a national survey of approximately 90,000 U.S. mobile phone users during the third quarter of 2014.
Consumer Cellular expects to continue its steady growth. The company will celebrate its 20th anniversary in 2015 and anticipates reaching two million customers in Q4.
For more information, visit www.consumercellular.com.
About Consumer Cellular
Consumer Cellular is the exclusive wireless provider for AARP members and a top-rated carrier that provides no-contract cellphones and service plans to those 50+. Founded in 1995 on the belief that everyone should have affordable access to the safety and convenience of cellular service, Consumer Cellular is privately held with more than 1,200 employees. The Portland, Ore.-based company utilizes the nation's largest voice and data network, which covers more than 300 million people – or 97 percent of the US population. Consumer Cellular's wireless phones and plans are sold nationwide at leading retailers such as Target and Sears as well as direct to consumers at www.consumercellular.com or (888) 345-5509. The company has been ranked on the Inc. 5000 list for six years in a row and has the highest overall customer satisfaction of all mobile carriers, based on Nielsen Mobile Insights survey data during Q3, 2014. For cellphone tutorials, features, applications and company news, connect with Consumer Cellular on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google+.